This post is part of the Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge hosted by WEGO Health. I will be writing a post a day for all 30 days. You can learn more about it here: http://info.wegohealth.com/HAWMC2012.
Health Time Capsule – Pretend you’re making a time capsule of you & your health focus that won’t be opened until 2112. What’s in it? What would people think of when they found it?
If I were making a time capsule about my life with chronic illness, here are the things I would definitely include:
- A big refillable med case, because putting in all the pill bottles sitting in my drawer would be a little nuts.
- Snacks – just in case the evil Sir Prednisone hasn’t been annihilated yet. Let’s face it, you can’t be on prednisone and survive without some snacks. (I can’t promise they’d still be edible after 100 years though…) but I can only hope that we wouldn’t need Sir Prednisone anymore. If I were truly optimistic, I’d hope that our diseases would be long gone by then, of course.
- Heated blanket or snuggie. Plus wool socks. I’m always freezing.
- Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses. I don’t go anywhere at all without those.
- Heating pad for the muscle ache. Can’t live without this one.
- Some movies and TV shows on DVD – lovely when stuck in bed.
- Epsom salts to soak out the stiffness and swelling in my joints.
- A phone for twitter. How could I live without my twitter friends??
- If they would be willing, I’d love to include little testimonial notes from all my twitter friends. My experience alone wouldn’t be able to give anyone an accurate & complete picture of what it’s really like to live with a chronic illness.
- Copies of my blog posts. (Ok, so I’d like to flatter myself that they’d still be relevant and maybe even useful to someone.) I think these would hopefully explain a lot more about why I included a lot of these items. Including them without explanation wouldn’t be helpful, but I’m not sure that I could explain any better than I already have.
EDIT: My friends have informed me that there is not enough of ME in here, only my illness. So here are 5 more things that I would add to my time capsule that represent me.
- A kindle – reading is probably my biggest hobby. I couldn’t live without books. Illness or no. Taking away my books would be like taking away my ability to breathe.
- iPod – with different music for every mood. Music helps me through some moods and helps me get into others. I usually have some sort of music playing in the background.
- Potted flowers, because I love plants and nature, but can’t really be outside. Flowers are cheery, but cut flowers make me sad so I think I’d put in potted flowers. (Yes, I realize they wouldn’t survive in there for 100 years, but …)
- Pretty shoes, jewelry, lipstick, and fashion mags. Being sick doesn’t mean i cant enjoy prettying myself up.
- Passport and various restaurant menus – I love to travel and see different parts of the world, and I love to eat different cuisines. Hmm.. I wonder if any of those restaurants would still be there when the capsule was opened..?